Sunday, August 31, 2008

Toad Talk

A few weeks ago China-cat had a spell of bringing in birds to eat, and mice to play with and then eat. This morning I stayed in bed later than ususal reading Mountains Beyond Mountains, a book about an amazing doctor and anthropologist who, with associates, is probably responsible for quelling the worldwide epidemic of multi-drug-resistant TB, and changing the way the WHO defines the challenges of disease in poor communities.....

Anyway, China had been running around and sneaking around and playing, then settled down. After awhile, I heard some very quiet rustles and squeaks, and thought perhaps I had another mouse in the house. I looked over the edge of my bed, to where I thought the noises were originating, and there was a toad. He could not have been inside too long, because he looked fairly well-hydrated: his skin was moist. I picked him up and put him on the grass outside, where he can find a good toad home. I think that is the first time I ever realized a toad could make those quiet sounds.

No comments: